With an action packed day in the English Premier League today we have some thoughts on the current state of the league.
1. Manchester United has looked like champions in the first few games of the Premier League season, but can it last. Injuries have plagued the Red Devils this season and if they cannot stay healthy they could struggle mightily against big spending Manchester City and Chelsea later in the season. With Rooney out of the lineup against Stoke, the Red Devil’s struggled for goals. If the injuries continue, the later part of the season could be tough.
2. If Arsenal finishes in the bottom half of the table, could it be the end of the Arsene Wenger era. To say Arsenal have struggled to start the season would be an understatement. Even with the win today, Arsenal sit 12th in the table with just two wins from their opening six games in the Premier League, including a humiliating 8-2 defeat to Manchester United. If the season continues to be shaky, what does Arsene Wenger’s future hold?
3. Can Manchester City win it all? This is a question that has been asked over and over again since Manchester City has started their massive spending spree. They are currently tied at the top of the table with Manchester United, with United leading on goal differential. Roberto Mancini has proven he can manage top sides and win a lot of trophies. Just look at his resume as Inter Milan coach. So with the strength of the squad and whoever else they plan on buying in the next transfer window, could they win the Premier League and dethrone their city rivals?
4. Can Liverpool break back into the top four of the Premier League? This season has started much brighter than the last campaign and has some people wondering if Liverpool can be part of the big four again under the guidance of Kenny Dalglish. They currently sit 5th in the table through six games and have been unbeaten at Anfield so far this season. The struggles have come on the road, so if they can fix their road struggles, could we see Liverpool back in Champions League soccer next season?
5. Finally, will Fernando Torres ever regain the form that saw Chelsea spend a pretty penny for him. Through six games he has two goals and has still been struggling. Every time he looks to be back on his way up, something happens. Against Manchester United he had a goal and then an open net that he missed. That miss could go down as one of the worst of the season, and if he made it he could have helped Chelsea put the pressure on Manchester United being down only one goal with ten minutes to go in the game. Then today, he scores a goal and then gets sent off for a reckless challenge. Things have not been going his way and Chelsea must be second guessing their decision to drop all that money on him.
We here at soccerprose.com want to hear your voice. What do you think of the five topics mentioned above or whatever else is on your mind regarding the Premier League. Comment below and get involved in the discussion. We love to hear your opinions.
Written By: Eric Stoyanov, Contributing Writer, soccerprose.com
Recent posts in EPL